Morgan F's Reviews > The Dead and the Gone

The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer

I wasn't exactly looking forward to reading this book. I read Life As We Knew It and had so-so feelings about it. But I saw it in the library and was looking for something to read, so I really had no excuse not to read it.

This book was more a companion novel than an actual sequel, and it was based around the same catastrophic event: moon craziness. This time the main character was a 17 yr old Puerto Rican from NYC, named Alex. This book follows his story as he and his two younger sisters struggle to survive.

The main problem for me was the main character. He is a Puerto Rican from NYC, so why didn't the author make him Puerto Rican? I mean this boy is very pious, being the Vice President of his class at a Catholic school. And the only thing that the author attempted to do to portray his latina heritage was having him say random words in Spanish. Not quite. Hey, I can say random words in Spanish too! Mama mia! Wait--that's Italian......

And besides that, the plot was just kind of boring. We get it, you're starving. Point made. Although, I did think the book progressively got better. By the end, I was actually interested.

I also didn't think there was much difference between The Dead and the Gone and Life As We Knew It. They both were about starving families stuck in their situation, one way or another. Except one was a rural setting and was an urban setting. But the main characters had very similar voices.

The only way I shall be reading the third one was if it comes to my local library.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dead and the Gone.

05/24/2010 page 102
31.78% "I do not find this believable at all. All the Puerto Ricans I know wouldn't be having any of this."
05/26/2010 page 250
77.88% "Meh."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa I haven't read it, but it wasn't a series that enthralled me enough to have to keep reading. I haven't heard great things about it either, or the third.