Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > Bridge to Terabithia

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Jul 10, 2013

bookshelves: read07, read-long-ago, own
Read in February, 2007

A re-read from my childhood, because I wanted to read it again before seeing the movie. I am still curious to see what these huge fantastical creatures I see in the previews are like, because the way I read the book, the friends are simply pretending, not living in a fantasy world. To me, it's different. But we shall see. I still think this is the only book that has ever made me cry while reading it.

ETA: I can't believe I reviewed this without mentioning that my best friend and I created our own Terabithia in elementary school, in the woods surrounding my house. We played for hours, days, years. The moss had magical properties and the different lands had different languages. This book was part of the fuel.

My favorite quotes:
"We need a place... just for us. It would be so secret that we would never tell anyone in the whole world about it. ... It might be a whole secret country."
"This is not an ordinary place... Even the rulers of Terabithia come into it only at times of greatest sorrow or of greatest joy. We must strive to keep it sacred. It would not do to disturb the Spirits."
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bridge to Terabithia.