KBev's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Jan 18, 10

bookshelves: currently-reading

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alex an excellent book in my opinion. I think Jane Austen is praiseworthy to have included the importance of money in sentimental relations, not a very common feature at the time she was writing. And some of the characters have the comic caricature that reminisce me of Molière, very good grasp of human weaknesses. Also, the first sentence of the book is outstanding, a writer´s prowess.

message 2: by KBev (new) - added it

KBev I want to like this book. I really, really do. But, for some reason I can't get past page 50 of this book. I will make myself do it one day. I've started reading it 3 times already and the furthest I've ever gotten is around page 50. I don't know why. Especially because I NEVER do that with books. Maybe my real problem is that I'm afraid I won't like it? I don't know. But I do love some Moliere!

Alex I think you shouldn´t be afraid not to like it, what is wrong with not liking it? On the contrary, if you don´t like it and substantiate it with arguments, it could be the occasion for a very interesting discussion. There surely are good quotes about every taste in the nature and not because everybody is of an opinion you should hold the same (the Panurge´s sheep of Rabelais). If you come through the book and finish it one day, let me know if you agree about the Molière comparison.