Kaley's Reviews > Solar

Solar by Ian McEwan

Mar 08, 10

bookshelves: 25-in-2010, arc
Read from February 07 to March 08, 2010

I was so excited to see a new novel from one of my favorite authors! I have not read everything by Ian McEwan, but I have loved everything I have read. While I did enjoy Solar, it was not my favorite, however.

Solar tells the story of Michael Beard, a fat, self-absorbed, womanizing, Nobel laureate whose glory days are long in the past and who sits proudly and lazily on his past achievements. He has done nothing of consequence (professionally speaking) in years, and yet is still revered and honored in the scientific community. And he is just fine with that. His love life is a disaster; he has married and divorced 5 times by the end of the book. Beard is a complete and total arse, whose life and actions were not particularly interesting (and often actually quite off-putting), and yet McEwan still finds a way to make him endearing and laughable. Quite a feat, if you ask me. Like so many of the people who drift in and out of Beard's life, I felt sorry for him, and the pity allowed him to continue to get away with "murder," so to speak.

It took me over a month to finish Solar, as I didn't find it to be particularly compelling; I didn't really care about Michael Beard or what (probably deserved) consequences fell upon him. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it; I really did, when I was reading. I just mean to say that for me, it was not the kind of book I couldn't wait to get back to when I wasn't reading. I don't really have anything negative to say about it, though. McEwan's writing is wonderful, his descriptions lively and often hilarious, and the characters are realistic. It was an enjoyable story, even comical at times, different from other works of his that I have read. It was just not a story that I loved. Overall, I am glad I read it, and I would certainly recommend it for any McEwan fans.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Solar.

02/09/2010 page 75