Kristilyn (Reading In Winter)'s Reviews > Shadowland

Recommended for: Fans of Alyson Noel
Read from January 18 to 19, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert **

[from my blog 'Reading in Winter']

In Alyson Noel’s latest installment of ‘The Immortals’ series, Shadowland, Ever and her true love Damen are faced with one huge problem: They can’t touch each other or Damen will die.

Intriguing, no?

Oh but wait, Damen pretty much clears up the whole issue at the beginning of the book by putting up some kind of shield so that they can touch, but anything that gets real sexual is out of the question. Wait? Is this book all about sex now?

Noel brings back the same characters that have been in previous installments – Haven, Miles, Roman, the creepy twins – and we have one new character, Jude. Much like how Damen sought after Ever throughout all of her past lives, she finds out that in each of these lives there is always Jude – or a past life of Jude. The question is: Is Damen’s latest troubles the result of him interfering with what could have been true love between Ever and Jude? Is his lavish lifestyle to blame? Is karma playing a role?

While Ever tries to understand that issue, she’s also trying to find the antidote to the antidote, which means she has to find a way to get it from Roman who has always been less-than cooperative. Ultimately though, Ever blames herself for what happened, and Damen blames himself for what happened and they both work separately, rather than together, to find the solution. In my opinion, if they were soul mates, wouldn’t they want to work together?

As in Blue Moon, the twins are also involved with finding the solution. After Ever doesn’t take their advice in Blue Moon, she continues to not take their advice in Shadowland, ultimately leading to her having to choose between Haven’s life and the touch of Damen. One would think that Ever would have learned from her mistakes, but Noel seems to have it mapped out that Ever will make the same mistakes over and over again. The twins warned Ever that something was going to happen and she remained too wrapped up in herself to take note.

One of the great things about this book is the relationship between Sabine and Mr. Munoz – one of Ever’s teachers. It provides humor and warmth and I was very happy to see Sabine happy. Noel also enforces the idea of friendship and helping the ones you love to no end. Even the twins are starting to form a friendship with Ever and it was nice to see that happen.

One big problem with Shadowland is that it ends without an explanation about Jude, or Haven’s opinion about her current state. And what’s happening with Honor? The antidote to the antidote is never claimed and the reader is left hanging. Personally, I was getting very annoyed with Damen’s attitude and kind of hoped for a change – specifically for Ever and Jude to hook up. Jude seemed so down to earth and real and Ever had real sparks flying with him. Damen seemed too involved with material things and was just too serious all the time – he definitely lost his charm in this book. It would have been nice for Ever to have a happy ever after with Jude.

While the issue of “the Shadowland” is brought up – i.e. a place where immortals go when they cease being immortal – it isn’t touched upon at all for the rest of the book. I’m curious why the book was even named Shadowland if it’s just a general concept that was introduced and not a major part of the outcome. Other things that bothered me was the emphasis on the tulips. We get it – tulips mean eternal love, which is what Damen and Ever supposedly have. It seems like every time I turned the page, one of them was sending a red tulip as an apology. Whatever happened to words? Enough with the tulips already!

Apparently the next installment, Dark Flame will be released in July 2010. Here’s hoping that there Noel provides some explanation about all the issues she left untouched. Personally, I would call it quits on this series, but I really want Jude and Ever to be together. I really think there’s something there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowland.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brenda I totally agree on the tulips. So annoying!!