Jesse's Reviews > Macrobiotics: An Invitation to Health & Happiness

Macrobiotics by George Ohsawa

Jan 24, 10

Read in January, 2010

After about 2 months of following the macrobiotic diet, I'm feeling very thankful for it. I've wanted to be vegetarian for a long time. Tried it for a couple years, and felt tired, fatigued, unbalanced. Macrobiotics has given me a way to balance a vegan diet (besides a small amount of fish) so that I'm feeling great. Good energy, not fatigued. Feeling good about my impact on the Earth. George Ohsawa was the founder of macrobiotics. Only the first 20 pages of this book are actually his. The rest of the 55 pages are written by Herman Aihara, one of the first of Ohsawa's followers. Ohsawa is pretty entertaining. This book was first printed in 1971, but it seems a bit like it was written about 50 years before that. There are some over-the-top ideas that I found both funny and interesting. For example, "[Women who follow the macrobiotic diet:] become younger, more beautiful, and grow abundant hair. They will give birth to as many children as they wish. They can even select the sex of the baby who will be born." If you're interested in macrobiotics, I would not recommend this as your first book. I'd suggest a good cookbook, such as "The Complete Guide to Macrobiotic Cooking", by Aveline Kushi. Another good book that is both philosophical and practical is "The Macrobiotic Way" by Michio Kushi.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Macrobiotics.