Charlotte's Reviews > Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life

F_50x66
Jan 20, 10

bookshelves: mediation-books
Read in January, 2010

This book was first recommended to me by a close friend Sonja, and when I encountered it as a reference for a mediation workshop, I decided to purchase it. In the beginning, I thought it was just an expansion of the basic "I" message that we teach the children in school: When ____, I feel __________, so please ______________. In some ways it was, but the expansion delivered in much more depth, how the empathetic comment, and clarifying and reframing can indeed help both ourselves and others to more clearly recognize what we or others are really feeling and needing and communicate it honestly without blaming or criticizing. Of particular interest to me was how appreciation can be expressed so that it is a celebration and not a manipulation. It also gave me some good strategies for helping others in a mediation session, to move away from criticizing each other to conversation that leads both to understanding and a desire to respond compassionately.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nonviolent Communication.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica This sounds like a book I need to read and I would love to borrow it. Do you receive these comments?

Charlotte Yes, I'm receiving the comments. I will bring it with me the next time I come, or send it back with Brent when he comes, whichever happens first!

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Thank you. No hurry.