Patwell James's Reviews > The Amityville Horror

The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson

U_50x66
Jan 18, 10

Although perhaps overly embellished, this book is a fairly accurate account of the events the Lutz family claimed to have experienced at their home in Long Island.

As to the validity of the story itself, it cannot be proven true or false. What I have noticed, however, is the blatant disregard for facts that most of the hoax theories utilize. Many are in direct contradiction with police evidence, court records, and common sense. None of them agree with each other, despite the fact each one claims to be thoroughly researched.

The inconsistencies in reports of the events, between the Lutz account, this book, the films, newspapers, etc., can be explained away as creative license. In fact, Jay Anson has admitted to fabricating dates and events for this book, simply because he was not allowed an actual interview with the Lutz family. There is, however, no apparent reason why so many like-minded debunkers would continually contradict one another (as well as themselves).

As for the book itself, it is fairly well-written. The events described are often quite chilling, and although I was never scared out of my wits, I found this a pleasantly creepy diversion.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Amityville Horror.