Krista the Krazy Kataloguer's Reviews > Bad News for Outlaws: The Remarkable Life of Bass Reeves, Deputy U. S. Marshal

Bad News for Outlaws by Vaunda Micheaux Nelson

Jan 18, 2010

bookshelves: read-childrens-books, read-corettascottking, read-biography
Read in December, 2010

Outstanding book about a black man who, for some 30 years, was a deputy U.S. Marshall in the Indian Territory, which later became the state of Oklahoma. He escaped slavery as a child to live with the Indians before becoming Marshall. These are the sorts of people who bring history to life. I'm sure I would never have heard of this man if Nelson hadn't written this book. Best of all, at the end she provides a photo of the real Bass Reeves, plus a glossary, timeline, and lots of web sites and books for further reading. Highly recommended, and well deserving of the 2010 Coretta Scott King Medal for best author/text.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad News for Outlaws.

message 1: by Luann (new)

Luann Gary Paulsen also wrote a book about Bass Reeves: The Legend of Bass Reeves. That's when I first heard about him.

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer I've never heard of that book. I must look it up. Thanks for the tip!

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer Luann wrote: "Gary Paulsen also wrote a book about Bass Reeves: The Legend of Bass Reeves. That's when I first heard about him."

I don't recall hearing of that book before, but I've got it marked on my "to-read" shelf. Thanks for the reminder--I'll look for it when I go to the library tomorrow.

message 4: by Luann (new)

Luann No problem! I'm curious to see how the two books compare.