Cindy's Reviews > Hattie Big Sky

Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson

2058617
Jan 18, 10

Read in October, 2009

I read this book because it was a Newbery Honor winner from last year (2009), and I enjoyed it! I like books that have determined heroines who do whatever it takes to improve their lives. Hattie could hold her own in the company of Anne Shirley and Kit from The Witch of Blackbird Pond, to name a few. She is an orphaned young woman who is shuttled from relative to relative, and so, when she discovers that she has been left a homestead in her late uncle's will, she makes the choice to leave for the unknown and take charge of her life. Her struggles to work the land and meet the conditions necessary for final ownership of the land makes for a good story. I found myself pulling hard for her to rise to the challenges, and those challenges continued to pile up! She learns much about herself through her successes and her failures. It's a good, easy read that leaves the reader with admiration for all those homesteaders of long ago. Many of them faced trials that are not so different from those faced by people today.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hattie Big Sky.