Kim's Reviews > Ella Minnow Pea

Apr 20, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: meh-at-you
Read in April, 2009

My god.... this is what I hate about 'hype.' I was so looking forward to reading this book... I thought 'what a cute idea!' (my voice actually squealed a bit) and 'what a great cover!' and----- I'm an idiot. I should know enough by now to not let my hopes get so high.

Stupid...stupid... stooopid.

Okay, it's a cool idea. Really. The whole revering the language but also revering a man who came up with a sentence that doesn't really revere the language because it's celebrating creating a pangram. Yadda yadda yadda...

I thought it would be cute to read these exchanges and think how clever it all is. Problem is that it was TOO clever... too much. I didn't fall for it. I skimmed, I yawned, I hoped at some point that all the letters would just fall off the damn board and they'd shut the hell up already.

Okay, I chuckled at this one line: "She shoot loog smashing 4 the phooneral.' (She should look smashing for the funeral.)But I plead no sleep and little light to read by.

Maybe you'd be into this, maybe you'd get the schtick and enjoy it. Good for you. I, on the other hand, am back to being my bitchy cautious self. :(

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ella Minnow Pea.

05/13 marked as: read