Meagan's Reviews > Flash Burnout

Flash Burnout by L.K. Madigan

Jun 02, 13

bookshelves: awards, fiction, ya, tbr-challenge
Read on June 02, 2013

This is a complicated book about a lot of things, and it doesn't take the easy way out on anything. That deserves a big round of applause, because this book tackles a huge range of things: first love, friendship, family, drug abuse, codependency, sex, mistakes, gossip. And art. Specifically, photography.

The story left me feeling a bit unsettled. Nothing is wrapped up at the end, which is completely appropriate because things don't get wrapped up at the end. That's life. It's messy, and this book is messy. I loved the depiction of a first relationship. Intense, sweet, earnest. We all know they never last, but who cares in the moment? I love the depiction of friendship, especially since it's between a boy and a girl, and the author doesn't avoid all of the shit that goes with that. It's an actual, honest-to-god friends only friendship, but sometimes that's too foreign an idea for high schoolers. Especially when things get complicated. When things get complicated, it can be a minefield for adults, too.

The best thing I can say about this book is that it made me want to pick up my camera again. It's been a long time, and I kind of miss it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flash Burnout.

06/02/2013 marked as: currently-reading