Andrea's Reviews > The Knife of Never Letting Go

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Sep 07, 14

bookshelves: read-fantasy-scifi, read-mystery-suspence, read-young-adult, favorites, read-dystopian
Read from January 15 to 17, 2010

Wow. This book is haunting, poignant, beautiful, sad....so, so sad but full of hope. There is hope until the end. It is the kind of book that I didn't like and I didn't love. It is the kind of book that words can't express how I feel about it, but I know I will recommend it to everyone I know. It is the kind of book that gets into your soul and doesn't let go....forcing you to keep reading and reading captivating you as it horrifies you as it amazes you as it keeps you wanting more.

In short, the main character grew up in Prentistown - a town filled with "noise" (you can hear everyone's thoughts) and no women. All is not as it seems in Prentistown and the history...the truth...slowly unravels throughout the book. The storytelling is masterful - unwinding slowly, and at points quickly with a little here and a little there all told in a way that keeps you reading until the end. It is crafted beautifully in a way that I can't quite describe.

As much as this book wormed its way into my psyche, it wasn't perfect. I wasn't immediately pulled into this book. It took me a few chapters to get into the rhythm of the narration. In fact, at first it drove me crazy that the Prentistown dialogue was all misspelled!!! (I did get used to it as I saw the author used it as a devise to show the differences between the towns in the book and I was eventually able to overlook the misspellings.) There was an element - even while suspending all disbelief while immersed in a story that is unbelievable - that I just couldn't believe in the reality of this story and this world. There were parts where the story did not quite match the built up suspense or the characters developed as they could be.

Despite these flaws, it was what I would call an amazing read. The best I've read so far this year! (Let's hope the rest of 2010 brings more great reads!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knife of Never Letting Go.