Nenia Campbell's Reviews > Secret Society Girl

2190064
Jul 30, 14

bookshelves: new-adult, x-2007s, publisher-dell
Read on January 18, 2010

EDIT: OMFG. NEW SUMMARY, HOW DARE YOU COMPARE THIS BOOK TO BEAUTIFUL DISASTER? WORDS CANNOT EXPRESS MY RAGE. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!!!

I pre-read books for a high school English teacher and decided to check 'em out. Two of them were Zoey Dean's A-List books and another was Gossip Girl, neither of which I really cared for. But the younger girls love them: whatever gets the kids reading, right? So, by the time I got to Secret Society Girl, my expectations were understandably low.

Boy, was I COMPLETELY blown away.

Secret Society Girl is all about a prestigious Ivy League college (not a high school! Hurrah!). As a college student, this made the book twice as enjoyable for me because I was able to compare it to my own college experience. Secret societies are "tapping" the freshmen for new recruits, not unlike the sorting hat at Hogwarts. In fact, some of their hazing rituals are a bit Potter-esque. Skull sconces, blood, and the worshiping of Greek goddesses ... for Amy, it all sounds a little too bizarre to be true and she wonders several times if it's a hoax.

There are some heavy make-out scenes that are too sexy for maiden aunts and a couple annoying references to pop culture and how PRIVILEGED these kids are, but mostly the story stays to to the plot in a 293-page roller coaster ride that has a rather touching climax. Any book that promotes equality between the sexes is fine by me!

I think I might be keeping this one. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secret Society Girl.