Jenn's Reviews > Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

Wicked by Gregory Maguire
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked.

message 1: by Bridget (new) - added it

Bridget I wanted to read this! Why is it only a 1 star for you? I won't waste my time if it is terrible.

message 2: by Jenn (new) - rated it 1 star

Jenn I'm not a complete prude when it comes to novels so I can tolerate some amount of nastiness. But this one went in some very unnecessary directions. It has a great premise and, I feel, was a missed opportunity. Do yourself a favor and buy the CD from the musical and go and see it if you get the chance. The musical is amazing.

message 3: by Bridget (new) - added it

Bridget Really good to know. I really don't like reading something nasty. It really sticks in my mind when I read it. Thanks so much for the tip! That saved me money and dissapointment! I do have the CD and LOVE it. That is why I wanted to read the book. Thanks for your help!

message 4: by Angie (last edited May 11, 2008 11:16PM) (new)

Angie Jenn,
I felt the same way about this book. I kept hanging in there through the unnecessary crudity hoping for a pay off that never came. I guess I thought there would be a payoff because of the acclaim the musical received, and because before I read Wicked, I read Confessions of an Ugly Step Sister by the same author, and it was a decent read. But Wicked was just plain lousy. The book actually turned me off so much, that I had no desire to see the musical. But if you think it was amazing, maybe I should give the musical a chance.
Angie.

message 5: by Bridget (new) - added it

Bridget Thanks for posting your insight about the book, Angie.