Jessika's Reviews > The Outsiders

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

Dec 13, 2011

bookshelves: classics, favorites, fiction, library, re-read, young-adult, wishlist
Read from December 08 to 13, 2011

The Outsiders is one of the first books I remember reading in school and really loving. I mean, sure, I remember reading some fun ones in elementary school, but junior high is when they really start throwing the classics at you. This book is perfect for proving that not all classics have to be intimidating and can actually be (surprise!) quite enjoyable.

I think it's incredible that S. E. Hinton wrote this when she was 16. Not only that, but she absolutely nails the voice of Ponyboy. Ponyboy has to be one of the most convincing, authentic narrators I've ever read. The thing about Ponyboy is that he still has this simplicity and innocence to him, despite all that he's been through. He will, in my mind, have no problem "staying gold," like Johnny advises.

The other thing I really love about this book is that it really is so much more than it seems. S. E. Hinton's writing is simple and straightforward, but it is totally fitting to the story itself. It lends itself to her overarching message. This story is about so much more than Greasers versus Socs, poor versus rich. It's about more than Ponyboy, even. Her story goes to show that no matter your situation, your background, or your station in life, people are people. We all might face different problems, but at the end of the day, we are all just people. I love it. It's really beautiful to think about.

This is one of those classics that really stays with you for a while, once you've read it. It's one to put on the shelf for sure, as a reminder to stay gold and enjoy those sunsets.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Outsiders.

12/08/2011 page 42