Holly Lee (Bellas Novella)'s Reviews > Dead Until Dark

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

Jan 17, 10

bookshelves: 2009
Read in May, 2009

I just finished reading the first book in the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris, Dead Until Dark. I have to admit that I had no interest in this book until I finished the Twilight series and wanted more vamps. While this series is very different from the Twilight series, it is excellent in its own right.

The series is geared towards adults, so there are some - make that many - explicit scenes in the novel. I wouldn't suggest giving this book to a Twihard teen in search of a vampire fix.

The vampires in this book are part of the community. They drink synthetic blood to keep the general public feeling safe. Everyone seems to know that they still nibble here and there. There is a community of "Fang Bangers" that will do anything to be the sacrificial lamb. The hot vampire club Fangtasia is where the fangbangers go to see and be seen. They are often times covered in scars from all the times they have allowed themselves to be bitten.

When a vampire named Bill walks into Merlottes Bar in small town Louisiana, he turns heads. Sookie is a waitress at the bar and is fascinated with the mysterious creature. She is also wildly attracted to him, mostly because she can't hear his thoughts the way she can hear everyone else's. Listening to other peoples thoughts against your will is no way to live and she is known to be crazy in the town for her mysterious gift.

Fangbangers start turning up dead, people are pointing fingers at vampire Bill right away. Soon enough they start pointing fingers at Jason, Sookies brother who likes to cavort with fangbangers and make videos. When Sookies life is the one being threatened she has no idea who to trust, or how to stay alive.

This book was very exciting. Action packed from start to finish. I can't wait to see how it compares to the show!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Until Dark.