Joey Diamond's Reviews > A Tale of Love and Darkness

A Tale of Love and Darkness by Amos Oz

Jul 19, 11

bookshelves: didn-t-finish, fiction
Read from January 17, 2010 to July 19, 2011

God there is some good writing in this. I'm obsessed with everything that's said in this description:

"In Jerusalem people always walked rather like mourners at a funeral, or latecomers at a concert. First they put down the tip of their shoe and tested the ground. Then once they had lowered their foot they were in no hurry to move it; we had waited two thousand years to gain a foothold in Jerusalem, and were unwilling to give it up. If we picked up our foot someone else might come along and snatch our little strip of land! On the other hand, once you have lifted your foot, do not be in a hurry to put it down again; who can tell what menacing nest of vipers you might step on. For thousands of years we have paid with our blood for our impetuousness, time and again we have fallen into the hands of our enemies because we put our feet down without looking where we were putting them. That is, more or less, the way people walked in Jerusalem."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tale of Love and Darkness.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Chris Landry there is a great interview with amos oz on cbc's 'writer's in company' this week. you can get it in podcasts. i will def check out this book.

Chris Landry Chris wrote: "there is a great interview with amos oz on cbc's 'writer's in company' this week. you can get it in podcasts. i will def check out this book."