Erin's Reviews > So Far from God

So Far from God by Ana Castillo

Jan 24, 11

bookshelves: fiction, 2011
Read from December 22, 2010 to January 24, 2011

I'm really disappointed in So Far From God. I had been wanting to read it for awhile after falling in love with Peel My Love Like an Onion.

My favorite portions of the story were those focusing on Sofia's exploits and the later chapter on Fe. The most hilarious and charming part of the book for me is when the narrator shows the family through the eyes of a somewhat busy-body neighbor. It's basically a short retelling of everything you've just read peppered with her own prejudices and the assumptions of one with incomplete knowledge.

I wish the rest of the book was as colorful as the neighbor's chapter. While I think Castillo went to great effort to make it so, my opinion is that it fell flat. I also really don't like magical realism, which is something that's utterly strange and a bit incomprehensible to me given I love fantasy and science fiction. All of a sudden this highly "logical and rational" side comes out against flouting the already set "rules" of the world, which is rather frustrating to me. I also feel like I can't decipher if the author is trying to "say" something with improbable events and that makes me feel like an inadequate reader!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Far from God.

12/26/2010 page 50
12/27/2010 page 80
31.0% "A little hard to get into, but Peel My Love Like an Onion was the same and I adored it - fingers crossed."
01/20/2011 page 140
55.0% "With the shift of the focus onto the mother this is a much more interesting story. Yay!"
show 1 hidden update…