Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Queen of the Undead's Reviews > Feed

Feed by Mira Grant

May 23, 12

Read from May 30 to June 07, 2010

Ok, I really got to stop adding things to my review.. but just this last time..

Feed (and the entire Newsflesh Trilogy) made the list for..

Best Badass Zombie Books...

Ok... All you FEED fans... for your viewing pleasure...(from Mira Grant's aka Seanan McGuire's blog)

FED by Mira Grant

What if the ending of FEED had been … different?
FED, by Mira Grant.
But trust us, if you haven't read FEED, you don't want to read on. This ending contains massive spoilers.

Still want to read FED..... go to

Update- 5/23/11- I did say I would pre-order the next book, and I did. Even though I have a Kindle and can get the book the same day I order it, I actually pre-ordered book 2 for my Kindle. Yes, I know I am a dork but I do love this book THAT much!

I'm not very good at writing reviews. Why? Because I don't like big words, suck at grammar, and frankly, I just want everyone to trust me when I say "read the book" without explanation. Nevertheless, I know that I must put forth more effort than begging you to read this book.

Mira Grant aka Seanan McGuire created a world that sucked me in every minute I was reading it. I thought the beginning of the book was long, and boring. But without it, the last 400 pages would have not been what it was, a truly magnificant book!

I can't stop thinking about this book. Everything that happened, George and Shuan, and their relationship, the ending (you'll either love it or hate it), the politics, the action, oh yeah, and the Zombies.

Will I read the next book ?

I, without a shadow of doubt, will hit the pre-order button as soon as the second book becomes available!

Update- my copy is circulating among my co-workers, I liked this book so much, I just bought another copy! The only other time I've ever done that was with the Fever series- Karen Marie Moning!

Another Update- I've placed this book on my "favorite book of 2010" shelf.
52 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feed.

Quotes Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker Liked

Mira Grant
“Danger is a side effect of what I do, not the reason behind it.”
Mira Grant, Feed

Mira Grant
“His idea of traffic safety is going too fast for the cops to catch up.”
Mira Grant, Feed

05/30/2010 page 10
1.75% "Just started...."
05/31/2010 page 110
19.26% "very easy read, fun, surprised I read soo many pages in so little time."
06/01/2010 page 199
34.85% "This book can drag in parts..."
06/02/2010 page 275
48.16% "I'm so into the setting, the relationship between brother and sister, and of course the zombies, that I keep forgetting it is fiction. World building is top notch. Started off very slow, and tedious but later, all those details come into play!" 12 comments
06/02/2010 page 299
52.36% "I love, love the characters in this book."
06/03/2010 page 400
70.05% "OK, all i can say this is a kick butt book. It has a slow, long start but it is definitely worth the slow start."
06/05/2010 page 498
87.22% "darn buffy!"
06/06/2010 page 515
90.19% "Politics & mystery with a side of Zombies, if you think that is weird, what until you find yourself so sucked into the book, you don't want it to end. I love this book!"
06/06/2010 page 590
100% "I hate crying!!!!!!!" 5 comments

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I have this one on my wanna check out list at the library. Can't wait.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead J. Kaye wrote: "I have this one on my wanna check out list at the library. Can't wait."

I'm the 1st to admit that the beginning of the book is tough but if you can get through it, you'll understand why it is in there. The 2nd half of this book is so great and is such a unique read.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead 365andMe wrote: "Thanks for the heads-up. I have a tendency to quit early if the book doesn't grab me right away. I'll wait now that I know."

This is one book that I'm so happy I kept with it. With all the great books out there, if a book doesn't grab me, why should I continue to read? Something kept me reading this book and boy was I happy about it. It should come with a disclaimer "must sit through boring beginning but is well worth it"

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to try to be less hasty this year...we'll see how that works out. Don't hold out much hope though. The older I get, the less tolerant I become. :(

message 6: by Anthi (new) - added it

Anthi I really need to find time to read this one, it's been on my TBR forever!!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Anthi wrote: "I really need to find time to read this one, it's been on my TBR forever!!"

I LOVED this one. Very slow start though.

message 8: by Anthi (new) - added it

Anthi Michelle wrote: "Anthi wrote: "I really need to find time to read this one, it's been on my TBR forever!!"

I LOVED this one. Very slow start though."

I'll have that in mind and be patient!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) LOL, Michelle, this is the best review EVER. I often want to write just 'Shut up and read the damn book!"

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "LOL, Michelle, this is the best review EVER. I often want to write just 'Shut up and read the damn book!"

Oh, and btw, I was determined to read it after the first paragraph of your review."

Thanks Maja, this was definitely one of the hardest reviews I've done. I loved the book after I finished it but the beginning of the book is hard to get through. It's hard to convince people to read a book that they might not enjoy in the beginning.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) You have GOT to be kidding me. Now I'll never stop dreaming about that job with the CDC. :D

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "You have GOT to be kidding me. Now I'll never stop dreaming about that job with the CDC. :D"

I work for the California CDC so I knew they were doing it. I love it.

message 14: by Maja (The Nocturnal Library) (last edited May 23, 2011 01:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Noooooooooo, you have my dream job. Damn it! LOL. I'm green with jealousy.

That post is absolutely amazing.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "Noooooooooo, you have my dream job. Damn it! LOL. I'm green with jealousy.

That post is absolutely amazing."

LOL! You don't even know what I do! It is not even close to exciting like you see on movies like Outbreak. I deal with paperwork, overseeing my staff, trying to make sure everyone does what they are supposed to do, and basically everything boring that comes with being stuck in an office all day.

I wish I was in a hazmat suit trying to contain the spread of a deadly virus but instead I'm usually trying to contain the spread of workplace gossip!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I don't care, I don't care. I bet it's all super clean. :D

My dream job would be somewhere in a sterile enviroment. I have a small issue with germs, and while I realize that your office is not exactly sterile, it must be comforting to work so close to every possible cure. Lol. My nightmares are all about germs.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "I don't care, I don't care. I bet it's all super clean. :D

Believe it or not, we keep spreading germs around here like any other office. We definitely are a "do as I say, not as I do" type of office. We do love Clorax wipes but other than that, we all get sick often here.

I do admit that when I was doing food recall work, I became obsessed with NOT eating certain foods or handling certain food items a particular way.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Oooh, food is a very sensitive subject. Best not to get me started, lol. I could end up hungry.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "Oooh, food is a very sensitive subject. Best not to get me started, lol. I could end up hungry."

Notice I didn't tell you of any of the very disgusting, gross details! LOL

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Thank you, oh wise one. :D Seriously, my imagination is running wild as it is. I see germs everywhere. :D

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "Thank you, oh wise one. :D Seriously, my imagination is running wild as it is. I see germs everywhere. :D"

Then you would go crazy working here! You don't even want to go into our library!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) LOL, I work at a university on a science project (social science, not science science), AND I teach. I'm surrounded by people all day. Yuck. :D

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "LOL, I work at a university on a science project (social science, not science science), AND I teach. I'm surrounded by people all day. Yuck. :D"

See, I would love to teach. We must switch jobs!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Yes! Please, save me from them! :)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "Yes! Please, save me from them! :)"

hmmmm... let's see how long would it take to get passports and fly to Croatia?

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Long enough for them to eat me, probably. I think working with kids would be much easier. Working with 19-year-olds is hell. ;D

Be careful what you wish for...

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Maja wrote: "Long enough for them to eat me, probably. I think working with kids would be much easier. Working with 19-year-olds is hell. ;D

Be careful what you wish for..."

LOL!

message 28: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa I decided to get this book and give it a read because of your oh-so enthusiastic review! :)

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Lisa wrote: "I decided to get this book and give it a read because of your oh-so enthusiastic review! :)"

I hope you love it. Be patient through the first half, it has tons of world building! Even a year later, I still adore this book and I'm super eager for book 2!

message 30: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa I hope I love it too, but I think I should. It seems like something right up my ally. Is book 2 coming out soon? I'm horrible at waiting for books.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Lisa wrote: "I hope I love it too, but I think I should. It seems like something right up my ally. Is book 2 coming out soon? I'm horrible at waiting for books."

Book 2 comes out next week!I'm so super excited, I am seriously thinking of taking a day off of work.

message 32: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa LOL sounds like a brilliant idea to me!

message 33: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa I could seriously kiss you because your review is why I decided to read this book and it is AMAZING. You definitely were right about it!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Lisa wrote: "I could seriously kiss you because your review is why I decided to read this book and it is AMAZING. You definitely were right about it!"

LOL! Yeah!

Katyana Holy crap, this book was so good. Devastating! But amazing.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Katyana wrote: "Holy crap, this book was so good. Devastating! But amazing."

Don't you hate that you waited so long to read it? LOL. I guess it's a good thing since now you don't have to wait for book 2!

message 37: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne The original ending is much better.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Anne wrote: "The original ending is much better."

I agree.

Katyana There's a changed ending?

You know what's sad? I have the rest of the series, but I haven't read them yet. This first one was so AMAZING and so completely devastating that I have been completely gunshy about reading on...

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Katyana wrote: "There's a changed ending?

You definitely should continue with the series. Blackout (the last book) is possibly my favorite book of the year (unless something truly amazing comes along).

Katyana But will I be devastated? Haha. I think that's the part I am worried about. I cried so hard at the end of this book that I was *hiccuping* ... oy.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Katyana wrote: "But will I be devastated? Haha. I think that's the part I am worried about. I cried so hard at the end of this book that I was *hiccuping* ... oy."

Just the opposite! It was such a wonderful ending.

Katyana Really? Oooh! Okay, now I'm excited to jump back into the fray.

Kalliopeia I read the review of both Wendy and you. I'm already anxious about what's going to happen and I haven't even read the synopsis.