Shera (Book Whispers)'s Reviews > Magic Bites

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews

Jul 07, 11

bookshelves: vampire, werewolves, unique-magical-creatures, ebook-second, ebook, ebook-m
Read from July 04 to 06, 2011

Genre: Urban Fantasy

Mouthy women who know how to take care of themselves are the kind of ladies that Urban Fantasy fans have come to love and crave from the genre. Kate Daniels has definitely taken one of the top places since her debut, and several books later she's still one of the most highly recommended bad ass babes around.

Magic is coming back after a 4,000 year absence, in a alternative Atlanta, GA. Where during Tech time magic is down and technology is in full control. During Magic technology doesn't work and it's back to a buggy wagon if you don't have car that runs off magic and water. Everything isn't black and white though, some magic can still get through tech time and visa versa. The world is strange and delightfully NEW! Mercenaries fight monsters for a price, Crusader knights still battle, shifters come in tons of fun varieties, necromancers control vampires (who are anything but sexy and romantic), and any kind of demon/creature could pop up at any moment going all Godzilla.

The world is really well fleshed out. The mesh of technology and magic is suburb, where the lights of the modern day go out and magic lanterns spark on. The two blend so well together, but magic and technology still battle for control. The creatures all have a mythology behind them that you can understand, but like the magic there's still an unpredictability that leaves you guessing.

Still, I must be upfront that this is not the strongest series starter I've read. The killer was obvious right from the beginning, to the point that the killer handed Kate all the evidence and clues she needed. Kate isn't fleshed out enough for my taste. Sure I loved wondering what kind of awesome wit would pop out of her mouth next, but the reader really doesn't get to know her. It may have been something to do with the short page count and the tons of action crammed into a tight bundle. And there's no complaining about the action!

This is a great setup novel to get the key players in and get readers ready to really start on the series. Kate's secret of what she is and why she's protecting that secret was driving me up the walls by the end of Magic Bites. The tension between The Beast Lord, Curran, and Kate is just firing up here—I wanna see these two Alphas butt heads! The wide range of paranormal critters make for a colorful cast that I just can't get enough of. Even with the drawbacks that only make this a good series starter, the potential is there. So much potential that I've continued to buy anything that the author duo put out.

Sexual content: Lots of creepy sex talk from the villain and raping of victims, readers who are not used to darker fantasy might find content disturbing. Lots of sexual humor.

Rating: 3/5- Adored it, just a few minor things held it back.

Originally posted at Book Whispers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Bites.

Quotes Shera (Book Whispers) Liked

Ilona Andrews
“I gave him my best cryptic smile. He did not fall down to his feet, kiss my shoes, and promise me the world. I must be getting rusty.”
Ilona Andrews, Magic Bites

Ilona Andrews
“He finished the bandage and was examining it critically.
"You know those things are unreliable." His voice held just a touch of reproach.
“Eleven out of twelve work fine. I’d say that’s better chances than getting an orgasm with a blind date and women still try.”
Ilona Andrews, Magic Bites

07/04/2011 page 1
0.0% "It's time for me to retry this series!!"
07/04/2011 page 28
11.0% "Must have been a reading funk when I first read this!

Because this is bad ass. Goodness I love Kate's snark.

"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Woohoo another convert to the world of Kate!

Shera (Book Whispers) crazy I didn't even know I had rated this book yet.

Shera (Book Whispers) OK, now I feel better. Yeah, I finally decided I had to finish one of the series that you said I had to.

Bought Magic Slays and I'm hoping it gets her on time so I can take it with me to SD.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Lol, yes you definitely have to finish this series! How are you finding it so far?

SD?

Shera (Book Whispers) Oh, that's right not everyone speaks Shera! *slaps head* South Dakota, US

I can't believe I was ever disappointed by this one. Though, I must have realized I was in a funk when I read it because I've still faithfully bought anything by the authors. I should be coming out with a review for my final verdict.

Kati French I was looking into reading this series. Is it really good?

Shera (Book Whispers) I'm planning on doing a big read this month of all of the books so I'll be updating about them.

Should have my review up about this one by the end of the day.

Kati French OK thanks Shera!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Great review Shera! I am glad you like it, this is one of my favourite series and it definitely gets better as you go along.

Shera (Book Whispers) That's what everyone is saying. So I'll be holding on. My copy of Magic Slays should be here Saturday!!!

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) That's good, Magic Slays was a great book, but my fave in the series is still the third one Magic Strikes. When you starting on the next one?

Shera (Book Whispers) Well, I have to finish the book I'm currently reading, which is really good! Then I've got a ARC of Hard Spell (Supernatural Crimes, #1) by Justin Gustainis that I need to get read for an upcoming interview and giveaway.

Then I'll start on the next one. I'm having a hard time sticking to the plan though.

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) It always seems that other books sneek up on you and disrupt your book plans!

I hope you like Hard Spell I haven't hearad of it.

Shera (Book Whispers) The author contacted me about it, and I just realized I actaully have a book from another series by him.

Yes they do!!! I'm always bumbed I don't get more ARC, but when I look at my TBR pile I'm kind of thankful I only get a small amount. ^_-