Anna's Reviews > The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Dec 10, 07

bookshelves: classics, fiction
Recommended for: cynics, people who like to read classics
Read in December, 2007

I'm embarrassed that I'm just now getting around to reading this classic...

But, anyway, I read this in one three-hour sitting on my futon. Part that was because I was determined to do it, but it was a very captivating, easy read... although I think saying that really underscores just how great this book is.

It's a fascinating reflection on the lives of young Americans during the post-WWI economic boom. They all seem to be well off financially but are unhappy with their personal lives for a variety of reasons. This is not shocking, per se (I think people with money struggle to find true happiness all the time), but the story is very telling of that particular time period in American history.

What I really like is that we got to hear the story from Nick Carraway's perspective. He just seems so "normal" so it's hard not to relate to what he is feeling. His naiveness as well as his cynicism come together to form a character that I think tells a great story about the money and morality of that time.

I know this is a good book because it was written 80 years ago yet it's quite relevant today. I wish I had read it in a college English class because it's really conducive to discussions and nowadays nobody wants to discuss Fitzgerald's writing for fun. :)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Gatsby.