MissM's Reviews > The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny

The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny by Simon R. Green

Jan 21, 10

bookshelves: read-2010
Read from January 16 to 20, 2010

It's an entertaining crime noir meets modern fantasy fiction series but after ten other books, some of the descriptions are frustratingly repetitive. This far into the series, I think we all know about the dark nature of the Nightside and we don't need to be reminded about all the various forms of sin and suffering over and over again. A lot of the descriptions felt like a copy-and-paste from previous books and a little like filler.

Also filler-ish was the first job Taylor takes on in this installation, seeming to be more about needing to round out the page count rather than really forwarding the ongoing plot lines.

Towards the end, things wrap up pretty quickly, suddenly and with a bit of a jolt - and then the book ends on a one-liner clearly meant to draw you into coming back for book 12.

Still a good series for light reading. There's never been high-brow literature in here but not every book needs to have such lofty goals. An enjoyable story and characters should be appreciated for their entertainment face value. I just wish there was a little bit new and less rehashed in future Nightside novels but I fear the very nature of the series and setting may work against such freshness from happening.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny.