Susan's Reviews > Olive Kitteridge

Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout

Jan 25, 10

Read from January 16 to 24, 2010

While I didn't always like Olive, I did enjoy this novel. Strout's writing is terrific; she fleshes out each of the characters with all their flaws, and through Olive's intervention with the characters, we gain insight into Olive's psyche. I detested her malicious cruelty in sabotaging Christopher's wife's belongings, yet I appreciated Olive's kindness to the anorexic girl and her love for her husband. At the same time I felt compassion for Olive's because of her loneliness and empty-nest syndrome and her inability to understand her son's rejection of her. Olive Kitteridge is a good read!
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Olive Kitteridge.

Maria Susan, I'm so glad you're reading this. Eliz Strout is a very fine writer and I think you'll really love love love this. Let me know, of course.

Maria I knew you'd like this. I'm very fond of flawed characters (for one thing, they make me look great - haha). I'm glad you loved the writing; I think E.S.'s really high end, especially considering what's out there these days.

Barbara I know that I wrote a comment, but it seems to have disappeared. This is not the first time. I recently lost an entire discussion on a 1/2 read book I was reading.

Now that I have recommendations from Both of you, I'll have to push this book up on my TBR list!