Ember DeBoer's Reviews > A Regular Couple

A Regular Couple by Curtis Sittenfeld

Jan 20, 10

bookshelves: guilty-pleasures, kindle, short-stories
Read from January 16 to 20, 2010

I love Sittenfeld's writing style (which I was first introduced to in the novel Prep): she writes the way my high school girlfriends and I chat with each other. This short story was very relatable in regard to the struggle to transcend or "break free" of who we were (or at least who we were "pegged" to be) in high school. Much like the struggle not to be perceived and treated as our early, unfinished selves during family gatherings, I think many of us also hope to come across as someone more confident, cool, and successful than we once were when we run into high school classmates. The encounter between the main character and the "it" girl from her high school days, while on her honeymoon no less, allows the reader an inside look at main character's thoughts--both the rational and irrational ones--and is well-balanced between the "what you'd like to happen" (expected) conclusion and one that demonstrates that what we'd think is a satisfying closure to such an encounter may not, in the end, actually give us peace.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Regular Couple.