TJ's Reviews > Comanche Moon

Comanche Moon by Catherine Anderson

Jan 07, 11

bookshelves: western, favorites
Read from February 24 to 26, 2010

I have never been much of a fan of Westerns. Having grown up in a family of cowboys, then taught and grown close to many Indians on various reservations, I find most novels dealing with the subject so trite and cliche-ridden that they sound silly and only end up annoying me. That is why "Comanche Moon" was such a revelation, it was wonderful! Both the white and Indian characters were written honestly and intelligently. Ms. Anderson doesn't white wash the problems but deals with them in a way that is both disturbing (as it should be) and moving. The love story between Hunter and Loretta seemed real, honest, their problems and the way they overcome them believable. Bravo, Ms. Anderson!
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Comanche Moon.

message 1: by Karla (new)

Karla Nice to have your personal experience perspective on this one! It's been so hyped and raved over that I was wondering if it was yet another one of Those Books.

message 2: by TJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

TJ You know how every once in a while an honestly real, deep and emotional book rises out of the mass of cliche' driven romance novels we are used to reading? Well, this is the one in the genre of American Indian vs white settler.

message 3: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Jan 08, 2011 03:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Great review, Tammy! Yes, as Karla said, it's nice to see your personal experience perspectice. I don't have personal experience with cowboys or Native Americans, but I did feel while reading this, that it felt like such an honest and intelligent novel. Such a beautiful, emotional, deep and honest story. Bravo, indeed, to to Ms. Anderson! - For writing it and sticking by her guns and not re-writing it when she was told that it broke too many rules of the genre, and that changing it was the only way she would get it sold. It would then have become the cliched book that we wouldn't have appreciated. I'm so glad we got to read it as she intended it, and that the series has been/being re-released.

message 4: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine I'm glad to hear that it isn't handled dismissively. I read a lot of Western Romances years ago (and occasionally still do) and think that it's more the norm to just ignore the big issues.

message 5: by TJ (last edited Jan 08, 2011 04:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

TJ Lady Jayne wrote: "Great review, Tammy! Yes, as Karla said, it's nice to see your personal experience perspectice. I don't have personal experience with cowboys or Native Americans, but I did feel while reading this,..."

I whole heartedly second that emotion!!

Catherine wrote: "I'm glad to hear that it isn't handled dismissively. I read a lot of Western Romances years ago (and occasionally still do) and think that it's more the norm to just ignore the big issues."

... or treat them so lightly it makes one's teeth ache ;)

message 6: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine Exactly. Sometimes I like the light touch (like Savage Thunder), but other times I really want a more serious portrayal of life like that. Not that Savage Thunder treated it cavalierly! It was just written in a lighter tone with less historical details.

message 7: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy Walton Grant Oh, all right -- ALL of you can't be wrong! On to the TBR it goes.

message 8: by TJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

TJ Tammy wrote: "Oh, all right -- ALL of you can't be wrong! On to the TBR it goes."

Just do it! You won't regret it :D

Catherine wrote: "Exactly. Sometimes I like the light touch (like Savage Thunder), but other times I really want a more serious portrayal of life like that. Not that Savage Thunder treated it cavalie..."

I so agree. Karen Kay is also a wonderful author in this genre who handles the whole situation beautifully without being silly but "Comanche Moon" just digs a little deeper, makes us a little uncomfortable and that is good sometimes.

Ally72 Super review, Tammy!!! I completely agree with your review.

message 10: by TJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

TJ Aw shucks, thank you!!!