Alanna's Reviews > She Got Up Off the Couch: And Other Heroic Acts from Mooreland, Indiana

She Got Up Off the Couch by Haven Kimmel

Jan 16, 10

Read in January, 2010

Another interesting read. This one was much darker than A Girl Named Zippy, and that casts something of a shadow on both books for me. But that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. But Zippy was so lighthearted and this one felt a little more like The Glass Castle, as though Kimmel realized as she was writing that she grew up in really dire (not to mention incredibly white trash) circumstances. As before, I still wanted to know more: what was the big fight at her parents' 25th anniversary party that made her Dad so mad? Why exactly DID her sister have to get married (she certainly wasn't pregnant, so the most obvious answer isn't it...)? Why was it that her Mom could finally pull her life together and go to college, and yet she never did manage to really take proper care of her poor daughter?

But despite those questions, or perhaps because of them, I sure enjoyed the read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She Got Up Off the Couch.