Debbie's Reviews > Understory

Understory by Pamela Erens

Apr 17, 08

bookshelves: highlyrecommend

This is a truly outstanding novel. Brilliantly written. Pam Erens is such a talent, so gifted. Outstanding voice and gorgeous prose. She has the ability to crawl right inside the skin of her character and speak to you with such honesty and detail, the world kind of surrounds you.

The language, the metaphors, the pace are all synchronized to create a feeling of loneliness, as personified by a disturbed man named Jack Gorse. Time passes, change happens and yet he stands still. In loneliness, he obsesses, he craves for intimacy, fantasizes about a stranger, longs for time to freeze. Like the flora and fauna in Central Park, he wants time to be protected. But it is not.

While with Jack, nothing is produced, knowlege is consumed--not just with books, but also with his senses. Jack, in his weird way, takes in the world.
He-- at least in his mind-- is the understory. But understory is not too stable.

A perfect novella. Perfect length. Beautifully written. Elegant in theme. And filled with heart. A very compassionate writer.

I truly look forward to more of her work.

Added to my highly recommended list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Understory.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathy That's it. I'm ordering this book today!