gargamelscat's Reviews > Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship

U_50x66
Feb 16, 10

bookshelves: compsci, 2010
Read from January 16 to February 16, 2010

This served as a useful refresher for good programming style. The sad thing is that these are items I should have forefront in my mind while coding but in recent years I've been too content to just get the program working and move on.

As I work mostly with legacy code lacking unit tests it does reinforce the necessity of creating unit tests to support radical refactoring.

It does this without the unpleasant dogmatic harangue that I see from a number of Agile pushers which, like Richard Dawkins with atheism, tends to push me in the opposite direction of my natural tendency.

The other area I work a lot in is of concurrency and it did point towards a useful looking stress test tool from IBM, ConTest, that makes me eager to try it.

I've always liked Robert Martin's writing style from his days as a contributor to 'C++ Report' magazine, though he is more of an editor for this book and there is some variation in the quality of the chapters by different authors.

I might have given this another half star if I hadn't been reading it as an ebook where the code snippets lose their very necessary formatting as a result of viewing it at Medium font size.

Worth a read, but I don't consider it the kind of book that justifies re-reading so I won't be going out to buy it in paper form.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clean Code.