Michael's Reviews > Sacred Marriage: What If God Designed Marriage to Make Us Holy More Than to Make Us Happy?

Sacred Marriage by Gary L. Thomas

M 50x66
Mar 21, 2010

Read from January 16 to March 08, 2010

There are a lot of Christian marriage books out there. I found this one better than many. It was not a how-to of marriage. Rather, it operated on the premise that marriage is not just about getting along and being happy, but rather marriage is meant to make both husband and wife more like Christ.

This book took one of the most balanced approaches I have seen to the issue of singleness vs. marriage. It helped to dispel the common idea that to be single is somehow more godly because it allows a person to be "undistracted" from ministry. Thomas suggests that while singleness may allow more time to DO things for God, marriage provides the situation and intimate relationship where you can BE more like God. I appreciated that he genuinely and consistently illustrated that neither marriage nor singleness is inherently more spiritual or honoring to God.

Though some chapters repeated previous themes, I appreciated the God-centered view of the book, and the reminder that the marriage relationship is NOT eternal, while our relationship with God (and to our spouse as a sister/brother) is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sacred Marriage.

01/04/2010 page 102