Hillary's Reviews > The Romantics

The Romantics by Galt Niederhoffer

Jan 20, 10

bookshelves: surprising-disappointments
Read from January 16 to 18, 2010

A disappointing read that had none of the charm of Galt Niederhoffer's first book, A Taxonomy of Barnacles. In this group of college friends gathering for a wedding, I expected to find at least one relatable or redeeming character, but none of the characters were appealing and the individuals in the group simply blended together from lack of personality or distinguishing characteristics. It seemed that Laura, the maid of honor who still pines after the groom and is the only Jew in a group of WASPs, was supposed to be the redeeming character, but I found her just as unappealing as the rest and couldn't root for her to win back the groom. What is more, the author kept emphasizing that Laura was a Jew, as if this explained her whole being or gave her some kind of personality, but I never saw any real significance to that label. In the end, none of the characters were likable and seemed to dislike each other to the extent that I spent most of the book wondering why they were friends and how so many people could do so little with their lives. If this book was intended as a portrait of my generation, 20-somethings who came of age in the 1990s, I object and suggest reading Janet Rakoff Smith's A Fortunate Age instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Romantics.