Kate's Reviews > Cracked: Putting Broken Lives Together Again

Jan 16, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2010, age-adult, non-fiction, psychological
Read from January 15 to 24, 2010

I liked this book better than Dr. Drew's newer book, The Mirror Effect: How Celebrity Narcissism Is Seducing America. This was written before any of the rehab shows. I thought it would be entirely about addiction, but mostly it seemed like "a year in the life" or a memoir. Dr. Drew highlights a few cases at the rehab center, illustrating the different types of addiction and how different patients react to rehab - for some patients it works, while for others it takes several more stays in rehab to get the message. For others, it is fatal. He also talks about his own past and his personal issues that make him a person who tries to save everyone, and there's also a little about Loveline and the role of physical & sexual abuse and other childhood traumas and their role in creating an addict.

This was very enlightening considering that my brother went through a period of addiction (he's doing okay now, but I think we all still fear that he will relapse). I always thought of it as an inability to control oneself, but apparently there is a definite biological connection for addicts which explains why they are unable to stop even though they are aware that using drugs will make their lives worse and/or kill them.

The only thing that really bothered me about this book were the illustrations. Creepy old children's book illustrations of Humpty Dumpty at the beginning of each chapter. It was weird and while I understand the connection to helping addicts, those picture were pretty disturbing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cracked.