F.R.'s Reviews > Samuel Pepys: The Unequalled Self

Samuel Pepys by Claire Tomalin

Jan 16, 2010

Like most people I’ve never read Samuel Pepys’ diaries, only ever coming across brief extracts – particularly those describing the fire of London. However prior knowledge of his work is not required for this marvellous biography, as Tomalin offers both a précis and an expansion of the original text.

Pepys really did live the most incredible life: a poor tailor’s son, he ended up on good speaking terms with both Charles II and James II (as well as working with Cromwell) and along the way hobnobbed with the likes of Christopher Wren, Isaac Newton and Edmund Halley. Tomalin takes the witty and informative diaries and gives a highly witty and informative account of them, continuing the story long after Pepys himself stopped writing and showing what a remarkable man he was.

This is a first class biography.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Samuel Pepys.

message 1: by booklady (new)

booklady Strange person that I am I actually have read an edited version of his diary. It was boring (at times) and hard to follow, probably like most people's lives. I don't think I finished it. Anyway it was years ago and I don't remember it all that well, but there you go.

This sounds much better!

F.R. If you were interested enough to try and read his diaries, then this is certainly a book for you.