Tanja's Reviews > The Last Waltz

The Last Waltz by G.G. Vandagriff

Jan 15, 10

I have spent 18 years of my life dancing and many of those years were spent performing. Often we would talk about different types of performers and the kind of experience you can give as a performer and the kind of experience you can have as an audience. One type of performer is one who can tell a story. Often I have watched dance, or viewed any type of art, and knew the story they were trying to tell. It is like being read to as a child, you know what is coming and you enjoy the telling of the story. Another type of perfomance is when you actually get to experience the journey with the performer. It is almost as if they themselves did not know what was coming. The story at times is not as clear, but your emotions and personal feelings are as much on the line as the one giving the performance.
This book, for me, was like the second type of performance. And for that is should get 5 stars. I found myself feeling the same way the characters did and agreeing with what was happening even when I didn't want to. But, about 2/3 of the way into the story I broke free of the spell and got angry at the main character. I told my sister "she is worse than bella" Make up your mind on what you want I thought.
As I have thought over this book about love and war I am amazed at how true it rings in life. There are many ways we love and sometimes love has to endure great tragedy before it can really bloom.
It was fascinating to read about world war one. It is also interesting to see Hitler rise to power and how the people thought he was evil or a savior. That is frequently how it is today. We want someone to save us and in the end we have given them too much control over us and we lose agency. Sorry for my rambling and if you managed to read that whole thing and are still reading, thanks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Waltz.