Jenny's Reviews > Frederica

Frederica by Georgette Heyer

Jan 20, 10

bookshelves: adult-romance, doorway-character
Read in January, 2010

This is the fifth (perhaps sixth?) Heyer book I've picked up, and I'm begining to see a pattern emerging. When small children are involved in some peripheral way to the main plot (or are somehow responsible for bringing together the hero and heroine), I am utterly absorbed in the book, highly entertained, and find myself singing its praises and foisting the book upon unsuspecting friends and relatives. If children don't have a place in the narrative, I have trouble even finishing it. Whether this is simply a result of the small sample size of my Georgette Heyer experiment, I don't know.

Regardless, Frederica features an adorably absurd little fellow named Felix, his practical and unassuming older sister (Frederica), and a world-weary Marquis, among others. Frederica, determined to give her beautiful younger sister a season and a chance to make a good match, moves to London with her younger brothers (including Felix) in tow, and prevails upon a distant cousin (the Marquis of Alverstroke) to help gain entry into the ton. To spite his sisters, the Marquis agrees to help them, and finds himself more and more drawn to the family.

Light, entertaining, and a great deal of fun. Definitely recommended.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frederica.