Zee's Reviews > Lunar Park

Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis

Jan 18, 10

bookshelves: contemporary, gothic-horror, booksread2005-6-7
Recommended for: People born 7th March, Die-hard Ellis fans

Word is Benicio Del Toro has been talking with Ellis about getting this on the silver screen. I'm quite excited about that, considering that Del Toro and Ellis are both big risk-takers in their respective professional fields.

But Lunar Park for me was a bit tame. Having read American Psycho I was expecting something a little more graphic... but Ellis seems to have matured over the years. His writing has taken on the flavour of Stephen King, where it's not the 'horror' that gets to you, but rather the 'terror' of possibilities that the novel brings to the reader.

I especially got kick out of this one, because Ellis and I share the same birthday, and he makes a very cool motif of this in the novel. Be prepared to have Bateman pop up in obscure places, but it's the dog and the crow that you should watch out for... That was disturbing.

Ellis explores family relationships and the negative effects this may have on various members. He especially touches on the father-son connection (which, some of you might know, reflects Ellis' own personal life. The conflicts are subtle, the changes that occur are like the passing phases of the moon, edging the characters into a lunacy that they have felt creeping up on them for some time.

Although it's not as GRAPHIC as I hoped it would be, it is nonetheless a powerful novel. I certainly felt that Ellis was doing what he is best known for, going to a place deep inside himself that the majority of writers would rather avoid. Part autobiography, part fiction, Ellis ventures the darkness of his own psyche, and invites us along for the ride.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lunar Park.