Kathryn's Reviews > Manfish: A Story of Jacques Cousteau

Manfish by Jennifer  Berne

Jan 15, 10

bookshelves: childrens-picture-books, nature-animals, non-fiction
Read in January, 2010

Last night was a really, really good night for children's books--I read many five-star books--and this one started it off right. It's a beautifully told story of Jacques Cousteau, famous oceanographer, from his first curiosity and infatuation with the sea to his inventions to his movies and exploration to his conservation efforts. An interesting biographical note in the back is included. All I can say is, what a cool and inspiring guy! I love how the story shows how his childhood dreams and interests (in the sea, in inventing, in directing movies--which he usually directed and starred in, too!) developed into his grown-up vocation (and advocation). The illustrations are lovely and fascinating and are done by a French illustrator which I think adds a nice touch given Cousteau's nationality.

Best of all, this book inspired me to want to read more about Cousteau's life--preferably through one of his many books.

Highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Manfish.

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 6: by Qt (new)

Qt This sounds like a great one to watch for.

Kathryn I think you would like it, Q!

message 4: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Great review, Katie - and I'm really glad I picked this one out of your stack to read the other day :)

message 3: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Ooh, no I'm not familiar with it, but I'm gonna go check it out now!! Thanks :D

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Oh good! I can't wait for your review! I saw that it's getting loads of five stars here on goodreads, which hardly ever happens. :)

Kathryn Chandra wrote: "There is a new Jacques Cousteau book that is getting a lot of press these days - The Fantastic Undersea Life of Jacques Cousteau. Anyone read it yet? I love the cover art - very fu..."

I just got it from my library. I'm woefully behind on my picture book reading but definitely hope to get to it soon :-)

Ann, I also have "Manfish" out so feel welcome to read either/both next time you are over.