Bark's Book Nonsense's Reviews > Good Harbor

Good Harbor by Anita Diamant

Jan 15, 10

bookshelves: audiobook, fiction
Read in April, 2004

I read this as an unabridged audiobook. Not having read The Red Tent I had nothing to compare Good Harbor to for good or bad. Overall I all enjoyed listening to this in the morning but it wasn't nearly as emotional as I'd expected it to be which is good, I guess, because I expected it to make me a runny mess. On the downside, this is a book I won't remember come next week . . .

It was a nice, gentle tale about the distance that can develop between couples that often goes unnoticed but it was also a book about the power of friendship between women and the special bond and sharing that occurs when two friend's just "click".

Both women came across as very realistic but somehow I always remained at a distance from them both. Joyce's snotty attitude towards her "romance" novel which paid for her summer home rubbed me the wrong way on more than one occasion. Her troubles with her bratty daughter were very realistically portrayed and her loneliness well done but in the end I still sympathized much more with Kathleen's character though, in the end, she nearly lost me as well.

This isn't a book I'd read again but I am interested in picking up The Red Tent to see what all the fuss is about.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Harbor.