Brandy's Reviews > Where the Mountain Meets the Moon

Mar 05, 13

bookshelves: newbery-honors, highly-recommended
Read in March, 2013

*Second Read Review*
This book was chosen for our book club book this month. I decided to read it out loud to my family since I love it and thought they would too!

What a wonderful story. This is a book I want to read every year. It has so many powerful reminders. Like my friend Kristine said, this book should be renamed "How to be Happy". It is so true.

*Original Review*
This book took me on a journey. As I first started reading it, I wasn't loving it. I had read a couple reviews (from strangers) that had influenced me to think a certain way and it was hard to get that out of my mind as I first started reading this book.

After reading a review by my friend Kristine, I decided to try my best to get the preconceived notions out of my head and give it a better chance. I don't know if it was my attitude or just that the book got more and more magical as it went on but I sat down and finished the book at that sitting.

After I finished I could not stop thinking about it and absolutely love it. I am actually quite sad that this book didn't win the Newbery medal even though I did like the one that did win. This one has such a fresh feel to it and the one that won is very typical of a Newbery winner.

I don't want to give anything away in this book so all I will say is "go read it!" In fact I recommend putting it at the top of your to read list.

First read in January 2010

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the Mountain Meets the Moon.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kristine I'm glad you love it! and I'm glad you were able to get over those weird reviews - one of the best books I've read in a while. I haven't read the others but I'm struggling thru calpurnia tate and wishing it was as good as this one!

Brandy Oh man! I am reading Calpurnia Tate next... I have it checked out from the library right now. I am actually reading The Magicians Elephant now... only a few chapters in and I am hoping it gets better too.