Dalleer's Reviews > Filth

Filth by Irvine Welsh

Jan 15, 10

Read in January, 2004

What a throughly disgusting book in many senses. I actually read the translated version of Filth in Finnish, and the translated title of the book was "Paska", which translates literally into shit. So you know, this one is definitely a fitting translation of the title into a foreign language, for once.

As for the contents of the book, I found it abhorrent. But in a good way. It was shocking and disgusting, but yet again in a good way. The plot of the book was often quite twisted, and the situations that the main character got himself into were pretty damn surreal.

In any case, this is novel which can interpretated in so many ways and has even to this day surely received wildly mixed reactions out of its' readers. The main character reminds me a little bit of Patrick Bateman, the protagonist of American Psycho. Both of these men share a violent and misogynous life of drugs (among other things), and have skyscraper-sized issues with alot of different things. Both also conspire against and despise their co-workers along with having wildly inflanted Egoes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Filth.