Sam's Reviews > Beasts of New York: A Children's Book for Grown-Ups

Beasts of New York by Jon Evans

Sep 22, 10

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from September 21 to 22, 2010

This is a wonderfully imaginative, entertaining, heart-warming, engrossing and thrilling read that follows Patch a squirrel of the Centre Kingdom as he battles against the army of rats, crows and the many other creatures found in the five boroughs of New York to protect his homeland and his family and friends. This does have some morales woven into the story but so do all of the traditional fairytales we are told as children and this definitely fits into that genre (although this is definitely one for the adults).

Evans has created a world that is realistic and believable that just sucks you in until the very last page and even then it keeps a little piece of you there (I am never going to look at my local wildlife the same way again). All of the characters are brilliantly written, with each of them suiting their respective species superbly. Evans' view of the human world through the eyes of the animals in the story is also brilliantly done and really gives the reader the sense of dread and fear that the weird human world must cause, especially when you're the size of a squirrel.

A superb read and I'm glad to hear that this will be published by The Porcupine's Quill next Spring (2011), can't wait to read it again.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beasts of New York.