Godzilla's Reviews > Head On/Repossessed

Head On/Repossessed by Julian Cope

May 26, 10

bookshelves: 2010, music, memoir
Read from May 19 to 25, 2010

A fascinating combination of two books (which rather confused my children, who thought I was reading a book upside down and backwards! Then were extremely disappointed to find out that I hadn't developed a new skill!) which cover two very different periods of Mr Cope's life.

I can't call myself a huge fan of The Teardrop Explodes or even St Julian, prior to reading these books, I picked them up on recommendation alone.

I wasn't disappointed, as he dissects the rise and fall of The Teardrop Explodes in a wonderfully warm and funny way. He certainly pulls no punches and chronicles in great detail his slide into acid casualty in Head On.

The are some fantastic mental images painted, involving sawn off shotguns and buckets of sewage.

Repossessed didn't grab me as much initially, perhaps because the starting point isn't as immediately accessible as the 1976 scene.

There are tales of paranoia and ego driven sulks.

Together these books provide a no holds barred peek into the world of fame and music. You don't have to be a fan to appreciate the insights and revelations in these books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Head On/Repossessed.