Bricoleur (David) Soul's Reviews > Weinberg on Writing: The Fieldstone Method

May 07, 2010

bookshelves: pn_literary_history, authorship, writing
Recommended for: aspiring authors
Read on May 07, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

"With wit, charm, humor, and wisdom, Gerald Weinberg shows you exactly how to become a more effective consultant" says the Goodreads' description for one of my favorite books Secrets of Successful Consulting.... well simply substitute effective writing for the italicized words and you've got the gist of this book.

Studded with lots of examples and exercises for the reader, the book could help writers of all genres and all skill levels; the most important lesson is not to just fight through "writers block" but to leap around it and Weinberg seems to have found a metaphor, "the Fieldstone Method," that will work if faithfully practiced. But then the proof of this statement will have to, for me, wait for its actual use in practice!

I must admit that the "reading" was so good I skipped those exercises best done in teams. That said, the self discovery that came from the solitary exercises I did complete was great enough that I will be going back through the book, at a more leisurely pace, to ensure that I make use of the remaining ones - something I have never, in any book of this nature, had any interest in doing. That in itself is testimony to the power of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Weinberg on Writing.

05/07/2010 page 35