Jo's Reviews > The Treasure Principle: Unlocking the Secret of Joyful Giving

The Treasure Principle by Randy Alcorn

Jan 14, 10

bookshelves: religious-spiritual

Okay, I read it. It disturbs me & I'm trying to figure out how to articulate why because there are a LOT of reviews out there saying this is an absolutely fantastic book on encouraging Christian giving, and tithing (ironically, the latter bothers the glowing reviewers, but not me). His Principles are:

Principle #1- God owns everything. I am His money manager.
Principle #2- My heart always goes where I put God's money.
Principle #3- Heaven, not Earth, is my home.
Principle #4- I should live for the line (eternity), not the dot(short life on earth).
Principle #5- Giving is the only antidote for materialism.
Principle #6- God prospers me not to raise my standard of living, but to raise my standard of giving.

Doesn't sound bad in & of itself. But I didn't care for what felt like to me, too much focus on our rewards in heaven. It felt like for me there was too much focus on the motive for giving being that we would receive rewards (treasure in heaven) for it (i.e., what we give here is sent ahead to become our treasure in heaven -- I always thought our treasure in heaven is our relationship with God. This just transposes materialism here for materialism in eternity). I feel our motive shouldn't be about getting, but about being so grateful for all He has done, and knowing it's often His way of providing for his children or drawing someone to himself for which we are led to give. I also believe Alcorn misinterprets scripture quite a bit, taking it out of context and making it say things it does not say per what I've learned from my pastors & classes in my church & my own reading.

Moreover, it disturbs me greatly that he did all he could to avoid a civil judgment against him, i.e., moving money into other's names and resigning his job so as not to get the paycheck at that point. And he touts his behavior in quitting his job and shirking his court-imposed debt as a good & honorable thing which taught him to live below his means (bear in mind he started off debt free - other than the judgment that he weaseled out of).

This book makes me vastly uncomfortable & I cannot recommend it to anyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Treasure Principle.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

James Courtney At least not the only one.

Marie I felt the same way!

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin Franco I'm glad your review was at the top. I completely agree with the points you make, and will not be reading this book. Thank you!

Brian He didn't want his money to go to fund the abortion clinic so rather he chose minimum wage. He said he'd have gladly paid had it gone elsewhere.

message 5: by Jo (new) - rated it 1 star

Jo He weaseled out of a legitimate judgement imposed in a court case he lost.

Brian Oh and making minimum wage his whole life is weaseling out..OK! What would his life have been like had he paid the money? Not to mention the penalty was unjust!