Buggy's Reviews > An Irresistible Bachelor

An Irresistible Bachelor by Jessica Bird

Oct 07, 11

bookshelves: contemp-rom, shelf-10, tstl-heroine
Read from August 02 to 09, 2010 — I own a copy

Opening Line: "The woman came to him from the shadows and he knew her by the red of her hair."

Written in 2004 An Irresistible Bachelor is the companion book to Jessica Bird (JR Ward’s) An Unforgettable Lady Each can easily be read as stand-alones however you’ll get much more out of this one if you read them in order. Having said that I should also tell you that while I loved Grace and particularly John from the first book, Jack and Callie’s romance here was a major disappointment and has turned out to be my least favourite Bird/Ward book to date. Unfortunately I just couldn’t ever get a feel for them as a couple, and without the suspense factor from the last book or any real notable sexual tension this time, the dreary storyline involving art restoration, family secrets and multi-billionaire businessmen running for governor just wasn’t enough to hold my interest.

However this is still Ward writing, so while the plot never grabbed me it does of course have its moments, they’re just few and far between. For example I learned everything I ever (didn’t) want to know about restoring art. Thankfully there are some great secondary characters; like Jack’s bitchy meddling mother, a one armed chef and Artie the dog. My wannabe boyfriend John Smith shows up again although he doesn’t get to speak and we meet Gray, who had me wondering if he was the same Grayson Bennett from The Moorehouse Legacy book His Comfort and Joy? Speaking of which we also get a brief cameo from Spike A Man In A Million In the end though when you care more about a little dog and cameo spotting then the heroes you know you’re in trouble and it was with a lot of eye rolling that I finished this book.

Callie Burke is a struggling art conservationist so when she’s given the chance to restore a world famous painting she of course jumps at the offer. This job could make her whole career however she probably should have also considered that’s she’d be working with its owner too; multi-billionaire (really!? MULTI billionaire?? Is that much money really necessary? What’s wrong with just a plain ole millionaire??) Anyways Callie’s going to be working alongside the notorious womanizer Jack Walker. She’s determined to keep things strictly professional, after all he is engaged but he’s also just so damn sexy. Now she just has to make sure he doesn’t learn her secret. Dun dun dah…

Jack Walker is a practical man (who BTW was way more interesting in An Unforgettable Lady) He runs his life and fortune effortlessly and except for the occasional fight with his interfering, live in mother and some bad driving skills doesn’t foresee anything changing. That is until the moment he sets eyes on Callie. He wants her like he’s never wanted anything before and the more he gets to know her the more he also realizes what his life is missing. This isn't just infatuation and to prove it he’s willing to end his engagement even if that damages his chances of becoming a mayoral candidate. Will he ever be able to overcome his former reputation and convince Callie that he really loves her? And what the hell has she done to his painting; she was supposed to be a professional? Cheers!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Irresistible Bachelor.

08/02/2010 page 84
08/08/2010 page 265
71.0% "Instinctively, she started to reach for his hair, but she stopped, not wanting to ruffle him. "No, touch me" he said "Anywhere"...Hmmm Wrath says almost the same thing to Beth in Dark Lover" 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by DarienMoya (new) - added it

DarienMoya Great review Buggy, I have to read a Jessica Bird book.

message 2: by Buggy (last edited Aug 14, 2010 07:40PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Buggy Thanks D, I'd skip this one but some of the others are good

Zosia I only remembered that line because I liked it so much in Dark Lover. In that book it wasn't the hair she was worried about, she didn't want to appear clingy then he says to touch him everywhere. It was such a hot little scene and what woman hasn't tried not to appear clingy. Anyways you're right it ruined it for me by seeing it another book.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Excellent review! I have this one, hunted it down on ebay only to learn it will be re-released next summer. I'll read it, but I'm not in any hurry.

message 4: by Buggy (last edited Aug 16, 2010 03:32PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Buggy Thanks UMD I figured they were going to eventually re-release it. The Moorehouse Legacy is the series I think they should re-release, its good. I just noticed on Amazon AIB is selling used for almost 8 hundred dollars.. hmmmmmm

Where did you find out about the next summer re-release anyways?

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... It says it somewhere in the new AUL. At the end I think there's a "and coming next summer........." or something like that.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Oh, and I totally agree... The Moorehouse Legacy is WORTH the re-release.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Fabulous review!