Buggy's Reviews > To the Brink

To the Brink by Cindy Gerard

Jan 14, 2010

bookshelves: top, bodyguards, men-in-uniform-af-spc-op, reunited, rom-susp, shelf-12, tortured-hero, jungle-fever
Read from February 13 to 17, 2012

Opening line: "Ethan. Um. Hi. It's...Darcy."

Wow this was fantastic, probably up there as one of my top 5 romantic suspense’s ever. I was completely wrapped up in this story and had trouble putting it down for anything. It actually reads more like an action movie then romantic suspense, the thrills are just non-stop, with a retired Special Forces soldier trying to extract his ex-wife from terrorist kidnappers.

The jungle rescue (which takes up most of the book) goes from bad, to worse, to FUBAR and really had me wondering how the hell are they going to get out of this mess? Yet somehow between all the bullets, bad guys and blood loss Cindy Gerard also managed to completely suck me into the romance aspect. (Sigh) Yes, with a few well placed cherry lifesavers she created a balance between the two and by the end gave me a couple that I was genuinely cheering for.

I’ll admit though I’m a bit of a sucker when it comes to the reunited lovers theme and Gerard does a brilliant job here with Ethan and Darcy. I loved their love story. And unlike some of the other reviewers really enjoyed seeing their failed marriage played out in flashbacks throughout the book. For me this gave an added element of suspense because while we get to see the beauty of their initial meeting and falling in love we also know from the onset that it ends in divorce. I was morbidly curious about its unravelling; I mean they were so in love what happened?

“Eight days. She’d know him eight days. And she said yes without hesitation."

When he reached her, he touched a hand to her face. Smiled. “Important. That’s one word. Everything. That’s another. Loved,” he said, adding the most important word of all. "God Darcy you are so loved”

Darcy Prescott is working for Diplomatic affairs in Manila when she realizes she’s in big trouble. It may have been 5 years since her divorce but the first and only person she can think of to save her is Ethan Garrett. Moments before she’s taken Darcy places the call to her ex-husband and then disappears.

Ethan may have left the military behind but he’s never been able to fully let go of his wife. A plea on his answering machine see’s Ethan assembling a rogue rescue team from within his family’s bodyguard business (EDEN) and hitting the fast track for the Philippians. Armed with a pocket full of cherry life savers and a big gun Ethan easily slips back into combat mode. He’s extracting his wife and taking her home if it’s the last thing he ever does.

“Wake me up in a few hours and keep your eyes on the rearview”
“What am I looking for?” She asked glancing into the glare of headlights shining in the mirror
“The bad guys, babe. The bad guys.”
“They’ll be carrying signs right?”

To The Brink is the 3rd instalment form Cindy Gerard’s Bodyguard series however to me it read more like one of her Black Op BOI's books, especially when you compare it to the first two from this series which were just kind of average and didn’t have any exotic locations or crazy combat scenarios. Anyways I cannot recommend this one enough. Cheers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To the Brink.

02/14/2012 page 103
31.0% "For some inexplicable reason I've got a craving for cherry lifesavers"
04/16/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Awesome review Buggy! I love it when things go FUBAR. ;) I might have to add this to the mountain, since I'm having a bit of Cindy Gerard withdrawal symptoms. ;)

Buggy Thanks Wendy, Cindy Gerard's FUBAR's are the best!LOL I would definetly recommend this one if you're having withdrawls, seriously one of the best RS I've read

message 3: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy SOLD Buggy! It's on the Mountain! ;)

Buggy YAY!

Don't let it get lost in the mountain

message 5: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy OH man, that's a hard one Buggy. I'll try my hardest not to do that. (Whilst keeping fingers and toes crossed) ;)

Buggy If it makes you feel any better I've had this whole series sitting on the mountain for 2 years now ;)
Kicking myself

message 7: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy LMAO! Well, I won't feel so bad then. ;)

Jacqueline Glad you're liking this series. I loved the whole thing and you still have my favorites left to read. I liked #5 Under the Wire and #6 Into the Dark best. I also like the BOI series that spins off this one.

message 9: by Buggy (last edited Feb 27, 2012 03:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy Thanks Jacqueline, thats exciting news.(happy dance) I've actually already read and LOVED the BOI's series but somehow missed this one. I just wish CG could write faster, I'm looking forward to her new series too

message 10: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Great review Buggy! :) I put this on my TBR list!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Great review, Buggster! I love this series!!

Buggy Thanks Kimberly and Dhes!! The series just keeps getting better Woohoo

Cassie Love this series!

Buggy I've still got a couple of books to go which makes me happy

message 15: by Shelly (new)

Shelly Awesome review Buggy! I just added this series to my TBR mountain, been craving some romantic suspense lately, so I may move it up sooner!

Buggy Thanks Shelly, I loved this one and can't recommend it enough. Happy reading :)

message 17: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Great review Buggy! I always heard this was a good one, I should give it a try.

~V~ Great review Buggy! So, i've had this series and her Black Ops series in my to read pile for a while now. Heard that the Black Ops is a spin off of the Bodyguard series but i didn't want to have to read the entire Bodyguard one if it wasn't necc., especially if it isn't as exciting as the Black Ops one. Now i've read THIS review and i'm thinking i might want to read it! ;) Could i start with this one? Is it necc. to read this series from the very beginning?

Buggy Thanks Melissa, This reads like a BOI's book. You should definetly give it a go!

message 20: by Buggy (last edited Jun 05, 2012 09:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Buggy Hi V, I actually read the BOI's series first and am only just now getting to this one. So I would say yes, read the BOI's first. To The Brink was actually the first book in the Bodyguard series that I really liked, the first two were quite different and not as exciting.

Shawna Great review, Buggy! This is one of my top favorite RS reads as well. This series and the BOIs are amazing. I hope Gerard has a lot more RS planned in the future.

Buggy Yay, thanks Shawna. I can't wait for Gerard's new series. I'm trying to remember who it was going to be about? Oh right that kinda shady(but yummy) pilot met in the last BOI's book. Wish CG would write faster