Mollie *scoutrmom*'s Reviews > Harvard's Education

Harvard's Education by Suzanne Brockmann

May 29, 11

bookshelves: romance, read-in-2011
Recommended for: Fans of contemporary romance
Read on May 29, 2011, read count: 5

I adore this book. In the read-through I just finished, what stood out for me was the themes of racism and sexism in the plot.

'Harvard' got his nickname because as a black man who actually graduated at the top of his class there and became a Navy SEAL, he is both an example of reasons not to stereotype and also of tokenism in institutions. P.J. is a woman whose race is not given, but she has escaped her inner city upbringing by a single mother drug addict in determination not to repeat her mother's mistakes. She has become a federal agent and the plot revolves around a joint counterterrorism training operation between her agency and the Navy SEALS.

I think there are parts of these characters that the author used for Alyssa and Sam in the Troubleshooters series. (Arch, do you agree?)

Anyhow, in order for the operation to succeed (to save the boss when a training operation goes SNAFU goatstyle), our hero has to swallow his urge to protect. He has to learn to admit that the woman with whom he fell in love is a warrior, and also that he would not have fallen in love with anyone who needed the protection his instincts are pushing him to insist upon. This is the education to which I believe the title refers.

P.J. has other issues with which to deal. They stem from her upbringing and from the sexism she encounters in her work. If there is a weakness in this work, it is that I don't see much of Harvard's influence in her triumph over these issues, she just seems to be growing.

Well-written, well thought through, with lighter moments to provide a bit of leaven. My favorite is when P.J. gets away with leading a non-sexual conversation revolving around H's penis.

I will be reading this series over and over again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harvard's Education.