Sara's Reviews > The Hollow

liked it
bookshelves: 2010, ghost-stories, young-adult
Recommended to Sara by: Bookstore display
Read on January 14, 2010

Set in the town of Sleepy Hollow, this story is told from local teen Abbey's point of view after her best friend dies under strange circumstances and she meets Caspian, a handsome and mysterious stranger who Abbey immediately falls in love with. The mystery of what happened to Abbey's best friend was engaging, and I was also a little interested in what Caspian's deal was, but, unfortunately, I thought much of the book fell flat overall.

The narration plodded along at an okay pace, although there were many long scenes in which nothing happened but everything was described, and some of the dialogue sounded stilted; the descriptions were definitely better than the speech. I never fully connected with any of the characters, and I did not share Abbey's fascination with Caspain, who simply frustrated me because of his hot and cold personality; it also drove me crazy the way Abbey pretty much swooned every time she so much as thought of Caspian, despite barely knowing anything about him. This swooning overtook the plot about Abbey's friend, and I wish there had been more depth to it; as it was, I didn't see the attraction. The character I liked the most was a minor one who Abbey ignored or pushed away all too often, yet this character, Ben, felt more authentic and real than either Abbey or Caspian.

The setting was done well; I liked the way the legend of Sleepy Hollow tied in to the modern day story in the book. I was easily able to imagine everything the author described, and it was clear that she'd done a great job researching the area and the history to be able to draw the reader into the situation. I also thought it was really cool that Abbey made perfume for fun - what a different hobby and one that gave her interesting projects to work on in her spare time.

Overall, I'd consider this book an okay read (especially after I reached the end, which was kinda underwhelming). It was good but not great, though I think it might have a lot of appeal for others. I will probably pick up the second book in the trilogy when it's released, since I am curious about what will happen, even though I didn't fall in love with the characters.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hollow.