AJ's Reviews > Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving

Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving by Judi Kingry

Nov 15, 2014

bookshelves: nonfiction, 2010, own, cookbook
Read in February, 2010

This book really makes me pine for summer. The first few chapters are all about jams, preserves and fruit spreads. I love nothing more than a good jam on my morning biscuits. Hopefully I will have plenty of opportunity to try them out come summer when fresh fruit is in season. The only thing is that the recipes mostly all call for pectin, and I would like to try the slow boil method to get more flavor from the fruit. At the very least I think the recipes make for good guidelines, how much sugar to add to how much fruit, etc.

But that's not all that's included in this massive tome. This book also covers pickling, condiments, salsas, pie fillings, sauces, vinegars, and pretty much anything you can put in a can and preserve.

I decided to try the jalapeño salsa because I rarely ever make salsa with our Mexican themed dinners. Why? Because I never want to go out and buy a tomato, but we always have beans, rice, peppers, onions and fixings for tortillas. I finally realized that instead of making fresh salsa before every meal, I can can it and eat it as I need it. What a novel idea! The salsa was so delicious that Jeff and I ate an entire half-pint the next time we made tacos. So good! I can't wait to try out other recipes from this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving.