Harry's Reviews > Works of Love

M_50x66
May 20, 14

bookshelves: philosophy
Read in December, 2012

Wow. Where to begin? Heavy stuff here, mostly on what it means to love from a Christian perspective.

I'll admit that it took me something like three years to read this book. I would start, get busy with something else, put it down, and start over again, fearful that I would miss something that was predicated on something discussed beforehand. The payoff is worth it though; by the end of the book I was ready to live my life differently than I had before. I'm not saying this book has made me perfect; far from it. Instead, it's made me all too aware of my own inadequacies, and is gently reminding me to commit to the process of Love.

Be prepared to laugh out loud at a few key sections; Kierkegaard isn't best-known for his humor, but some of his observations on romantic love and platonic love hold true today. Further, be prepared to realize what it really means to be a Christian. Stripped of all the rites, dogma, thou shalts and thou shalt nots, it all comes down to one simple sentence in the Book of Matthew.

But there's the rub. That one sentence packs in a lifetime of walking a razor's edge, of turning the other cheek, loving another person no matter what, and putting no qualifications on your love. Can it be done? Yes, but only if one is pure of heart and willing one thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Works of Love.

01/14/2010 page 60